Many of our favorite Halloween activities can be sources of air pollutants, which may put those with asthma or allergies at risk.
As a spokesperson for the American Lung Association Brian W. Christman, M.D confirmed: "Halloween activities can be filled with asthma triggers that many parents wouldn't suspect, like masks or makeup".
The following tips from Atmotube will help you to stay well and breathe cleaner while you enjoy the festivities:
Halloween costumes are mass-produced and often are made of cheap materials that can be hazardous. Sometimes they give off a very strong smell and this is a bad sign. Chemical tests on Halloween costumes and accessories conducted by HealthyStuff.org showed that many of them contain toxic chemicals like bromine (brominated flame retardants), chlorine (vinyl/PVC plastic), and phthalates. These substances can be released throughout their life cycle and have a negative impact on the brain and immune system.
The more unrecognizable your face is at the party, the better, with people using dark face paints to look as scary as possible. However, darker paints may contain a high concentration of heavy metals. Lab testing presented in this 2016 report showed that children’s cosmetics and face paints contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as toluene and benzene which negatively impact our brain and nervous system.
Regular paraffin scented candles are a huge source of indoor air pollution. When burned, paraffin creates highly toxic chemicals that can be harmful to people with respiratory conditions.
Some candles have a wick wrapped around metal which produces soot.
Smoke machines are a great way to create a spooky atmosphere on Halloween, however some people are still wondering whether air filled with fog is still safe to breathe.
Fog machines use water, dry ice, and liquid nitrogen to create a fog effect, and sometimes extra chemicals can be added, for example, glycol in water-based fog. People with asthma may experience coughing, chest tightness and other asthma symptoms if they have been exposed to water-based fog. Even in a person without asthma, short term exposure to glycol-containing fog machines can lead to headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, and eye irritation.